Are you ready for what It really takes to make a change and lead a “healthier life”?
Today I am going to talk to you about why you are reading this article, you may not be ready for this change just yet, therefore I am going to take you on a journey to show you what it entails.
Many people decide to make a change because their health has been negatively affected due to the lifestyle they have been leading for numerous years. This could include diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and stress-related issues. Due to these health issues, your GP may have suggested to partake in some physical activity or you may have decided yourself enough is enough. However, you may have gone past the point of no return and just partaking in some “physically activity” may not be enough to get you to where you want to be.
You might be thinking “What do you mean Adam?
There are many people in the world that these particular criteria apply to:
1. The ones who keep saying they will do it but never take any actionable steps to implement tasks involved to fix their problem.
2. The ones who join the gym or sign up for a fitness class but have no distinct goal behind the action.
3. The person who wants to be a bit more proactive and hires a personal trainer to help them with their issues.
However, there’s one common denominator with all of the above: YOU JUST SHOW UP AND LEAVE! But after 8 weeks or so you will be fed up of not seeing any progress and more than likely you will drop off and quit.
This is something that I talk about quite often with my clients when they initially start with me. Do you want to SET YOURSELF UP TO FAIL BEFORE YOU START OR DO YOU WANT TO SUCCEED? If you want to succeed you must be willing to take on board what it really means to change your life.
In my opinion, If you really want to change you need to stop thinking about a DIET and focus on more of a WAY OF LIFE and play the long game. Diets are short-lived and once you stop adhering to them more than likely you will go back into your old habits, which will ultimately lead you to the same situation as you previously started in. If you focus on adapting this a way of life you can instil habits that will allow you to set up a solid foundation for you to lead a healthier life and get yourself back to that OLD YOU. You can start to understand the whole process and enjoy it which will lead to a much more sustainable approach.
So, what are the main reasons why you struggle to make a change?
1. The feeling of being overweight just is not enough to warrant a change because the impact that it has on your life is not that great so you just do not justify a need to change. If you value your health and well-being you will not wait for something bad to happen. You need to dig deeper and find the WHY behind it before you start.
2. If you just join the gym because you feel it is the right thing to do then after a few weeks you will be falling off the wagon again. You need to find the connection with being in great shape and the health benefits that it will bring you. Your goal should be crystal clear because without it you are setting yourself up to fail.
3. Nowadays we live hectic lives for the most part and many believe they just do not have the “time” to fit in exercise to their life. Well in my experience there are very few people in this world with no time to fit in some form of exercise to their life. If your health is a priority to you, I bet you can make time. We all have the same 24 hours in the day, it is on you how you feel the time. Have a look at your screen time on your phone and if it is over 60 minutes per day do not say you have no time.
4. Finally, the “Comfort Zone”. This is an area where 99.9% of the population live their life. Now there’s nothing wrong with this but if you want to change you are going to have to go somewhere that may be uncomfortable, usually this is the “Growth Zone”. Let’s take an example that I have experienced first-hand on numerous occasions. A female client has come to avail of my coaching services due to her not being happy with her current lifestyle. Her current situation has stemmed from her married life over the past couple of years. Fast forward 12 weeks and she has changed her life totally and she feels on top of the world. Now anyone who knows what it feels like to be in shape and have new levels of confidence will know that is an indescribable feeling. It is infectious! So, all of a sudden, her husband is feeling a bit awkward about being out of shape and decided to come in for coaching. Do you see where I am going here?
One decision from someone who said enough is enough, found her why pulled the trigger, changed her life through exercise, nutrition and by building a bulletproof mindset to instil new levels of confidence has had such a positive effect on her that everyone in her circle wants to feel the same.
If you need help with any of this I can certainly help, just reach out and ask for help!
Hope you found this helpful.